Sunday, August 22

Bald Dog and a One-Eyed Cat

fauna My pets are falling apart. My dog has some kind of allergy or something and seems to have psoriasis... She is losing lots of her hair and scratches all the time. When we comb her she has major dandruff. My mom and I have been bathing her with Head and Shoulders, and even Nutrogena T/Sal to see if we can't help her out. It seems to have helped a little, but she still has lots of scabs.

My cat is going to have surgery on Wednesday to take out his right eye. He lost most of his vision in that eye after a rottweiler used him as a chew toy for about 5 minutes. This summer he got in a fight and it got scratched really bad. We have been cleaning it and putting antibiotic stuff on it, but it hasn't improved. The vet thinks that all the swelling might be due to a tumor, so he's gonna remove it. I was surprised to find out how cheep animal surgery is, I thought it would be in the hundreds of dollars, but it is just going to be $85!

The funny thing about all of this is that my cat (Neko is his name) has received about as much love these last two months as he has the rest of his 14 years put together. Even though he smells really bad, and has a big ugly oozing eye, he has been moved inside, and we pick him up at least twice a day to clean his eye. After I'm done, my mom holds him and pets him for 2-3 minutes.

My dog (Blue Jazz) has also received more love this summer, at least from me. The last few years she has been having these alergies, but not nearly as bad. I didn't really know what was going on, but every time I pet her, I always felt like I had to wash my hands (partially from the dandruff, but also because she rolls in lots of little animals that she kills) so I kinda stopped going out to pet her when I was home from school. Now that I know it is just allergies (and now that she has stopped killing things, she just rolls in stuff that dies naturally, which doesn't happen much) I go out and pet her all the time (and give her a good scratching too :-) .)

the new icon is for posts about animals and pets and stuff