Wednesday, July 14

TV to Go? I say No

There is a Wired article about Microsoft's new portable video players. I'm going to go out on a limb and say these aren't going to catch on.

People listen to music while they are walking around, you can leave your earphones on during all of the time you aren't interacting with someone/thing that requires your ears. These devices require ears and eyes... that probably knocks off 90% of the time these things are useful compared with audio players.

The article talks about "small-screen optimized format" just after saying "instead of carrying around a stack of DVD's." DVD quality is not the same as small screen quality.

Most laptops have DVD drives on them, and some high quality video out (sorry I use Apple, I really don't know about the PC world, maybe this isn't a valid comment) this "$400" device doesn't really add anything to what I have now.